Tai J. Vokins
Tai J. Vokins is one of the state's most aggressive and respected trial attorneys and legal counselors. An experienced trial lawyer, other attorneys often contact Tai to discuss a variety of legal issues. Because he is experienced, it isn't unusual to see Tai take a very complex case to trial.
Nicknamed the "bulldog" by former Kansas Attorney General Steve Six, Tai never shrinks away from a challenge. While at the Kansas Attorney General's Office, Tai's case work led to returns of nearly $20 million to Kansas consumers. Tai was regularly assigned cases that involved some of the most powerful interests in the country and the state. Tai specialized in mortgage fraud and unauthorized practice of law while at the Kansas Attorney General's Office. While at the AG's office Tai conceived Operation Homestead, a series of lawsuits aimed at stopping mortgage fraud. Tai also successfully prosecuted a lawsuit against a former candidate for Kansas governor for the unauthorized practice of law.
Tai currently helps clients with Wills and estate planning, obtain debt relief through bankruptcy, protects consumers that have been the victim of fraud and helps small businesses stay compliant with Kansas law. Tai also represents clients accused of crimes such as DUI, assault and battery, theft, probation violations and other crimes in state and federal court.
Tai started practicing law at the Washburn Law Clinic defending clients accused of crimes, helping families in estate planning by drafting wills and litigating cases under the Kansas Consumer Protection act. Tai spent an entire year at the law clinic before graduating law school. After practicing for the clinic, Tai joined the Kansas Attorney General's office where he spent three years in the consumer protection division pursuing businesses who violate Kansas law and also represented other state agencies in legal matters. Currently, Tai runs the Vokins Law Office and also works as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Washburn University School of Law.
- Operation Homestead: Developer of law enforcement concept to combat the foreclosure crisis in Kansas resulting in 12 lawsuits aimed at foreclosure and mortgage scams. Total recovery of over $500,000.00 in civil penalties and restitution for consumers.
- State ex rel. Six v. Joan Heffington, et al.: Represented Kansas in an unauthorized practice of law and Kansas Consumer Protection act lawsuit against Joan Heffington, candidate for governor. The first unauthorized practice of law case to go to trial in nearly 10 years.
- State ex rel. Six v. David Martin Price: Persuaded the Kansas Supreme Court to hold Price in contempt for violating the court’s prior order to refrain from practicing law without a license. This was the first contempt order the Kansas Supreme Court issued that resulted in jail time in over 100 years.
- Case work has resulted in a combined net recovery for Kansas of $19,840,722.38 in civil penalties, restitution, expenses and investigative fees.
- Presented numerous workshops to thousands of consumers as well as continuing legal education to attorneys on a variety of topics.
Areas of Practice
- Consumer Protection
- Civil Rights
- Foreclosure Defense
- Civil Litigation
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Manhattan, Kansas: KBA Slam Dunk, Consumer Protection Update, CLE, January 29, 2010
- Dodge City, Kansas: Consumer Protection Week, Landlord-Tenant Act, February 26, 2010
- Wichita, Kansas: Consumer Protection Week, Landlord-Tenant Act, March 3, 2010
- Topeka, Kansas: Cutting Tasteless Legalese, CLE, May 26, 2010
- Leavenworth, Kansas: NAACP Consumer Literacy Speech, Mortgage Fraud, July 24, 2010
- Topeka, Kansas: Kansas Housing Authority, Mortgage Fraud, September 9, 2010
- Topeka, Kansas: Social Justice Panel Participant, September 19, 2010
- Topeka, Kansas: Washburn Law, Cutting Tasteless Legalese, November 4, 2010
- Topeka, Kansas: HCCI, Mortgage Fraud, November 17, 2010
- Adjunct Professor, Washburn University School of Law
Honors and Awards
- Ungerman Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice, 2007 - 2008
- Order of the Barristers, 2008
- SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Attorney General's Special Task Force on Disaster Response
- Washburn Trial Advocacy Team, Senior Member